Summer is an ideal time to get outside, whether it’s for a bike ride, nature walk or picnic. You can run around, play your favourite sport or cool off at the nearby splash pad.
If you’re staying close to home during the summer months, think of your community as an extension of your backyard. Here, we’ve highlighted some outdoor options to explore in our communities in Edmonton and the surrounding area.
The Uplands at Riverview
Located in West Edmonton with a beautiful natural backdrop, The Uplands provides instant access to the great outdoors. Your next adventure could be:
- Exploring over 8.5 km of trails and the surrounding environmental reserve of the Wedgewood Creek ravine.
- Following the walking paths past storm ponds and along a pollinator corridor, which serves as a dedicated habitat for bees, butterflies, and birds.
- Enjoying the community’s state-of-the-art inclusive playground for all ages and abilities. Construction is under way on an additional playground, on the west side of 199 Street. Custom designed, nature-inspired features (including a lifelike tree house) will make this a truly unique play space.
Also coming in the future is Big Island Provincial Park, scheduled to open in 2023. The 168-acre park will be located along the North Saskatchewan River, just minutes south of The Uplands.
The possibilities for summer fun are endless, starting with the crown jewel of this Northeast Edmonton community, its 12.4 acre All Seasons Park. Its many attractions include:
- An inviting playground, built on a sturdy rubber surface and inspired by the community’s aviation theme. Kids of all ages will enjoy climbing, swinging and sliding – as well as splashing at the nearby spray park.
- Open green spaces for recreational activities like flying a kite or tossing a Frisbee. Beginner cyclists can practice on the park’s paved plaza (which becomes a skating ribbon in the winter).
- Over 3 kilometres of multi-use trails, with benches and picnic tables along the way.
This family-friendly community in Southeast Edmonton invites you to get out and play, without having to leave your neighbourhood. This summer, make the most of your community by:
- Meeting up with friends at the playground or one of the community’s grassy parks.
- Playing soccer or basketball at Svend Hansen School, located within the community.
- Walking, running, or cycling on the network of pathways, enjoying views of the storm ponds and other artfully landscaped green spaces.
Explore more of Laurel Crossing
Just west of Edmonton in Sherwood Park, SummerWood offers a gorgeous natural environment in a quiet setting. Step out your front door to experience:
- Sunfield Park, a large urban forest in the centre of the community.
- The Summerton Spray Deck splash park, to beat the summer heat.
- Creekside walkways, leading to a scenic pond with a charming bridge.
- Multiple parks and playgrounds, surrounded by fully landscaped green spaces and connected by paved multi-use trails.
New amenities are coming to SummerWood providing even more areas to get out and explore! Two new parks will be arriving with features including community gardens, a basketball court and a skating rink.
There are many other Qualico communities to get out an explore, with ponds, parks, playgrounds and more. Discover in our communities in:
Spruce Grove: Springate
Stony Plain: Silverstone, SouthCreek & Westerra